Aftercare Instructions For Tattoos
Aftercare is a very important part to all of us here at Pure Ink. So important that we make it mandatory! For every service done we will be adding a small aftercare service fee. This fee will cover all and any products necessary to heal your procedure properly as well as written and verbal instructions and directions.
* If recommended ointments are sold out at our studio, we will suggest a replacement product. We are not responsible for loss of color, rashes, prolonged healing or excess scabbing if you use products such as Neosporin, Bacitracin or Vasoline! We will not guarantee any of our work if you do not follow what is recommended by one of our artists. Please follow our instructions for a properly healed tattoo!
Depending on your tattoo procedure and artist, you will be given either one of two methods to heal your tattoo. Please follow your instructions below.
METHOD 1 - RECOVERY SALVE
- Keep bandage on for 1 hour after your tattoo is done.
- Remove bandage, wash with soap and water then dry.
- Moisturize tattoo with recommended Recovery Tattoo Salve 4-5 times a day for the first 3 days. You will want to wash your tattoo once a day during this process.
- On the fourth day, switch to an unscented hand lotion and moisturize 4-5 times a day for 3 weeks.
- No swimming, soaking, tanning, covering with bandages or scratching for 3 weeks!!!
METHOD 2 - DERM SHIELD AFTERCARE BANDAGE
- Clean and dry your new tattoo and surrounding skin (lotions or ointments are not necessary).
- Peel off the paper backing of Derm Shield to reveal the adhesive side.
- Gently apply over the tattoo, leaving about 1 inch of the bandage in contact with undamaged skin around the tattoo. More than an inch may be needed in highly mobile areas such as knees, hands, etc.
- Remove the top surface backing, leaving only the Derm Shield bandage on the tattoo.
- The first piece of Derm Shield should stay on for 8-16 hours, depending on how much the tattoo bleeds. It’s normal for blood and fluids to collect under the bandage. Remove the bandage, clean and dry the area and apply a second piece of Derm Shield. If the tattoo is not bleeding or weeping then a small amount of unscented lotion or ointment may be used on the tattoo to prevent adhesion. The 2nd piece can be worn for up to 4 days.
- Apply a third piece if needed.
- For maximum comfort ensure skin is in a neutral position when applying Derm Shield.
- When little bleeding will occur, (line work, on a hand, etc.) you may apply a small amount of lotion or ointment directly on the tattoo before applying Derm Shield to prevent adhesion to the tattoo.
- When cutting to size, rounded corners provide the best adhesion.
- For large areas, pieces of Derm Shield may be overlapped by 1/2 inch (1 cm).
- When applying to elbows and knees the joint should be in a neutral position, neither straight nor completely bent.
- Do not use Derm Shield if you have allergies to adhesives.
***If using a glycerin soap (such as green soap) be sure to rinse thoroughly as any residue will react with the adhesives and cause increased binding and possible irritation.