Aftercare Instructions For Tattoos
Aftercare is a very important part to all of us here at Pure Ink. So important that we make it mandatory! For every service done we will be adding a small aftercare service fee. This fee will cover all and any products necessary to heal your procedure properly as well as written and verbal instructions and directions.
* If recommended ointments are sold out at our studio, we will suggest a replacement product. We are not responsible for loss of color, rashes, prolonged healing or excess scabbing if you use products such as Neosporin, Bacitracin or Vasoline! We will not guarantee any of our work if you do not follow what is recommended by one of our artists. Please follow our instructions for a properly healed tattoo!
Depending on your tattoo procedure and artist, you will be given either one of two methods to heal your tattoo. Please follow your instructions below.
METHOD 1 - TATTOO AFTERCARE OINTMENT
- Keep bandage on for 1 hour after your tattoo is done.
- Remove bandage, wash with soap and water then dry.
- Moisturize tattoo with recommended Tattoo Ointment 4-5 times a day for the first 3 days. You will want to wash your tattoo once a day during this process. DO NOT LEAVE ON A SHINY FILM OR THIN LAYER WITH THE OINTMENT. YOU WANT TO RUB IT ALL IN UNTIL IT'S GONE.
- On the fourth day, switch to an unscented hand lotion and moisturize 4-5 times a day for 3 weeks.
- No swimming, soaking, tanning, covering with bandages or scratching for 3 weeks!!!
METHOD 2 - DERM SHIELD AFTERCARE BANDAGE
- Your first piece of Derm-Shield applied by your artist should be left on for 48 hours. Your artist should provide you with a second sheet just in case you Derm-Shield has a leak or hole, you can patch it with your second sheet.
- After the 48 hours your tattoo is mostly healed! TA-DA! You can now switch to an unscented hand lotion until skin returns to its pre-tattoo condition
- Your Tattoo should heal in 14-28 days. Consult a physician if any signs or symptoms develop such as the following: redness at the site, green/yellow discharge (foul smelling) and/or fever.
- For maximum comfort ensure skin is in a neutral position when applying Derm Shield.
- When little bleeding will occur, (line work, on a hand, etc.) you may apply a small amount of lotion or ointment directly on the tattoo before applying Derm Shield to prevent adhesion to the tattoo.
- When cutting to size, rounded corners provide the best adhesion.
- For large areas, pieces of Derm Shield may be overlapped by 1/2 inch (1 cm).
- When applying to elbows and knees the joint should be in a neutral position, neither straight nor completely bent.
- Do not use Derm Shield if you have allergies to adhesives.
Bonus Aftercare Tips:
- Stay out of sunlight and tanning booth until Tattoo is healed, at least 14-28 days.
- Do not soak in a tub, sauna, Jacuzzi or go swimming while your new Tattoo is healing. Showers are fine.
- Do not rub or pick the treated area while it is healing. Loss of color and/or infection could occur.
- Extreme sun and exposure over the years can and will fade your Tattoo. This can be minimized by using a strong sunscreen, at least SPF25.