Aftercare Instructions For Tattoos And Piercings
Aftercare is a very important part to all of us here at Pure Ink. So important that we make it mandatory! For every service done we will be adding a small aftercare service fee. This fee will cover all and any products necessary to heal your procedure properly as well as written and verbal instructions and directions.
* If recommended ointments are sold out at our studio, we will suggest a replacement product. We are not responsible for loss of color, rashes, prolonged healing or excess scabbing if you use products such as Neosporin, Bacitracin or Vasoline! We will not guarantee any of our work if you do not follow what is recommended by one of our artists. Please follow our instructions for a properly healed tattoo!
TATTOO AFTERCARE - RECOVERY SALVE
- Keep bandage on for 1 hour after your tattoo is done.
- Remove bandage, wash with soap and water then dry.
- Moisturize tattoo with recommended Recovery Tattoo Salve 4-5 times a day for the first 3 days. You will want to wash your tattoo once a day during this process.
- On the fourth day, switch to an unscented hand lotion and moisturize 4-5 times a day for 3 weeks.
- No swimming, soaking, tanning, covering with bandages or scratching for 3 weeks!!!
TATTOO AFTERCARE - TEGADERM
- Clean and dry your new tattoo and surrounding skin (lotions or ointments are not necessary).
- Peel off the paper backing of Tegaderm to reveal the adhesive side.
- Gently apply over the tattoo, leaving about 1 inch of the bandage in contact with undamaged skin around the tattoo. More than an inch may be needed in highly mobile areas such as knees, hands, etc.
- Remove the top surface backing, leaving only the Tegaderm bandage on the tattoo.
- The first piece of Tegaderm should stay on for 8-16 hours, depending on how much the tattoo bleeds. It’s normal for blood and fluids to collect under the bandage. Remove the bandage, clean and dry the area and apply a second piece of Tegaderm. If the tattoo is not bleeding or weeping then a small amount of unscented lotion or ointment may be used on the tattoo to prevent adhesion. The 2nd piece can be worn for up to 4 days.
- Apply a third piece if needed.
- For maximum comfort ensure skin is in a neutral position when applying Tegaderm.
- When little bleeding will occur, (line work, on a hand, etc.) you may apply a small amount of lotion or ointment directly on the tattoo before applying Tegaderm to prevent adhesion to the tattoo.
- When cutting to size, rounded corners provide the best adhesion.
- For large areas, pieces of Tegaderm may be overlapped by 1/2 inch (1 cm).
- When applying to elbows and knees the joint should be in a neutral position, neither straight nor completely bent.
- Do not use Tegaderm if you have allergies to adhesives.
***If using a glycerin soap (such as green soap) be sure to rinse thoroughly as any residue will react with the adhesives and cause increased binding and possible irritation.
How your piercing heals up is up to you and your body! Never touch your piercings with dirty hands, you only need to touch it when your cleaning it. And leave something in your piercing for at least 1 year before taking it out for any period of time.
*ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PIERCER, DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR FRIENDS, EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT, EVERY BODY HEALS DIFFERENT.
Standard Piercing Aftercare
- Always clean hands before handling your piercing
- 2-3 times a day spray a small amount of Recovery Piercing Spray to the piercing.
- Additionally wet a Q-tip with Recovery Piercing Spray and clean piercing to get the crusty stuff off your jewelry and surrounding area (you do not want to get crusty stuff in your piercing).
- Make sure jewelry is cleaned thoroughly and move the jewelry back and forth to work the spray solution into the piercing.
*You want the piercing clean and dry, never leave anything in your piercing. Keep hands off the piercing at all times. Never use anything harsh like rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
Inner Mouth Aftercare (Tongue, Lip, Cheek Piercings)
Use Recovery Mouth Rinse 3 - 6 times per day or as needed. Swish thoroughly for one minute and spit out. This rinse is not intended to be swallowed!